Planning & Monitoring Division (PMD)
The Planning and Monitoring Division (PMD) was created with the purpose of coordinating the process of programme formulation, monitoring, evaluation and submitting periodic reports of programmes to the MHRD. It acts as a clearing house in respect to the academic programmes/activities of NCERT and evaluates all Programme Advisory Committee (PAC) approved programmes. It bears the responsibility of designing pertinent strategies of the Council and issue proper guidelines for the implementation of its various programmes. To achieve its objectives, PMD issues guidelines, prepares various documents for dissemination of information, monitors the progress of programmes approved by Programme Advisory Committee (PAC).
Role and Function
While providing support to the Constituents of NCERT in formulating short-term and long-term academic programmes and evaluating its implementation and assessing progress, PMD has been engaged in the following activities:
- Preparation of Annual Report of NCERT;
- Preparation of NCERT component for the Annual Report of MHRD;
- Preparation of Results-Framework Document (RFD) and MoU of NCERT;Preparation, development and updating of general guidelines for formulation of academic programmes;
- Preparation of time schedule and participation in the meeting of programme processing committees: Departmental Advisory Boards, Academic Committee, Institute Advisory Boards and Management Committees;
- Convening Programme Advisory Committee meetings;
- Quarterly monitoring of the progress of programme implementation undertaken by the constituents/departments; collection and processing of information through follow up actions;
- Preparation of progress statements of programmes proposed for Special Component Plan (SCP) and Tribal Sub-Plan (TSP) including budget;
- Preparation of Annual Programme Budget of the NCERT;
- Processing proposals of activities of PAC approved programmes for administrative-cum-financial sanctions;
- Preparation of monthly and quarterly including special reports on SC/ST/Minorities;
- Preparation of separate reports of the progress of the programmes including expenditure related to North-Eastern Region (NER), Girl Education; etc.
- Review of programme proposals for NIE Departments/Divisions/Cells, CIET, PSSCIVE and RIEs for duplication and financial aspects as per recommendations of meetings of the PAC, and
- Sharing of experiences of educational practices with States/UTs and workout with States for evolving realistic need assessment commensurate to the expertise available with NCERT for addressing the needs of States/UTs.
Apart from these regular activities, PMD is also engaged in carrying out research, development, training and extension programmes in the areas of project planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation. The Division has undertaken research studies on the functioning of DIETs, case studies of MCD schools in Delhi and is presently conducting research study on ‘no detention policy’. The development and the training programmes of the division concentrate on improving the efficiency of DIET faculty in the area of project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. The Division also has been organising courses for post graduate teachers/lecturers in economics on blended mode (face-to-face and online). Teachers from various States/UTs namely, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Sikkim, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh have benefitted from such programme. The Division is in the process of converting the course into MOOC platform.